OTTHUNDERDOME I : THE THUNDERVAULT - HOME OF THE GOODS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

so im starting a intro cpu science class

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

so im starting a intro cpu science class - Page 2 Empty Re: so im starting a intro cpu science class

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:32 pm

amsogator wrote:the thing about proprietary software is it's about developers > users, the devs can subject their users to whatever bullshit they like and if the users don't like it they have to suck it up and deal with it

with floss that never happens because if the developers do something fucking stupid users can easily fork the project and send the original program to shit (good example is what happened with openoffice and libreoffice)
i have apache openoffice is that bad

Back to top Go down

so im starting a intro cpu science class - Page 2 Empty Re: so im starting a intro cpu science class

Post by amsogator Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:36 pm

spinnythings wrote:
amsogator wrote:the thing about proprietary software is it's about developers > users, the devs can subject their users to whatever bullshit they like and if the users don't like it they have to suck it up and deal with it

with floss that never happens because if the developers do something fucking stupid users can easily fork the project and send the original program to shit (good example is what happened with openoffice and libreoffice)
apache oo is a fork of openoffice under the apache public licsense, which is GNU GPL compatible (e.g free & open source software)

it's not developed at all though so you're missing out on da latest featurse and security updates
amsogator
amsogator

money : 938
bitches : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:40 pm

amsogator wrote:
spinnythings wrote:

apache oo is a fork of openoffice under the apache public licsense, which is GNU GPL compatible (e.g free & open source software)

it's not developed at all though so you're missing out on da latest featurse and security updates
who would exploit apache openoffice
plus you told me the nonfree version is gay

Back to top Go down

Post by amsogator Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:44 pm

spinnythings wrote:
amsogator wrote:
spinnythings wrote:i have apache openoffice is that bad

who would exploit apache openoffice
plus you told me the nonfree version is gay
lots of people, because it's still reasonably popular due to people not knowing about LO's existence

and libreoffice is released under the GNU GPL v3 which is open source as FUCK
amsogator
amsogator

Back to top Go down

Post by amsogator Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:45 pm

the nonfree version by oracle is a huge piece of shit not even the original developers use it
amsogator
amsogator

Back to top Go down

Post by amsogator Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:50 pm

oh wait apache oo actually still gets updates

it has a wayy smaller developer base than libreoffice though
amsogator
amsogator

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess Daisy Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:38 pm

wait whats the difference between the free and the not free
Princess Daisy
Princess Daisy
THE IDIOT PRINCESS

money : 3638
bitches : 23
Humor : HI I'M DAISY

Back to top Go down

Post by amsogator Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Princess Daisy wrote:wait whats the difference between the free and the not free
alright let me break it down for you in the next post
amsogator
amsogator

Back to top Go down

Post by amsogator Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:51 pm

"free" software has nothing to do with price but the "freedom" to use it; all software that is free has its source code publicly accessable and easy to find, and is released under a software license that makes the software as easy to use for the end user as possible (so you don't have to sign any contracts or click any big "I AGREE" buttons). the GNU GPL (general public license) is basically the enforcer on what is and isn't free

the GPL ensures freedom by having a clause that absolutely requires that any deratives of the program must be released under the GPL, or a license that's compatible with it (BSD, WTFPL, MIT, etc)

software that is proprietary or nonfree is just any software that violates the GPL; even software with freely available source can be treated as nonfree (broadcom 802.11 STA has its source available but you're not allowed to redistribute it or sell it, which violates the GPL)
amsogator
amsogator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2