OTTHUNDERDOME I : THE THUNDERVAULT - HOME OF THE GOODS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THERE REALLY WAS AN ATARI BURIAL

2 posters

Go down

THERE REALLY WAS AN ATARI BURIAL Empty THERE REALLY WAS AN ATARI BURIAL

Post by Princess Daisy Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:15 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/26/the-dig-uncovering-the-atari-et-games-buried-in-new-mexico-desert

Today one of gaming's greatest mysteries will be solved: Were millions of unsold Atari cartridges and hardware, including the infamous flop, E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, really buried in the Almagordo, New Mexico desert? To find out, IGN's Fran Mirabella III and Naomi Kyle are on site at the big dig.

Why is this a big deal? Well, we explain why in this video over a game of E.T.:

The dig itself is part of an upcoming documentary that will be released exclusively on Xbox One by the newly formed Xbox Entertainment Studios. Directing the film is Avengers and X-Men 2 writer, Zak Penn.

The myth of the buried games was still in question just before the dig began; Zak Penn told IGN, "Other than garbage and the truth, I have no idea what we'll find. I think that's what's exciting, we won't know exactly what's down there until they start digging."

A brief history: In 1983, the New York Times and other papers reported 14 trucks of unsold Atari products were driven from a factory in El Paso to a landfill.

This represented the end of an era. With Atari's business in ruin (thanks to a number of flops, including E.T. and a shoddy port of Pac-Man) and the general public losing almost all interest in home console games, 1983 was a bleak year for the video game industry. What's become known as the "video game crash" was due in large part to Atari's collapse, and E.T. was Atari's final, and costliest, blunder of that era.

Although the burial was widely reported at the time, Atari employees, including Howard Scott Warshaw, the rushed programmer in charge of getting E.T. shipped in just 6 weeks (games took 6 months or more to make in the early 80s), have disputed the claim. Additionally, if anything was buried, it was crushed and paved over -- even before the elements took their toll. Whatever the case, E.T.'s journey from shovelware to shovel is an important historical story that finally has an ending.

the worst part about this is that they were in near perfect condition

for 30 years

we're all gonna die aren't we
Princess Daisy
Princess Daisy
THE IDIOT PRINCESS

money : 3638
bitches : 23
Humor : HI I'M DAISY

Back to top Go down

THERE REALLY WAS AN ATARI BURIAL Empty Re: THERE REALLY WAS AN ATARI BURIAL

Post by Tiwe Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:27 pm

I was going to consider the possibility of this just being staged, but then I read that they were able to find 2600 copies of E.T and I'm sure they'll dig up more and not just of that.
I don't think they'd bother wasting that much time and money for truckloads of atari games.

They should just sell the ones that work in the market for a lower/higher price (up to them) to mess with the economy.

Tiwe

money : 72
bitches : 1
Humor : No thanks.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum