OTTHUNDERDOME I : THE THUNDERVAULT - HOME OF THE GOODS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All build systems for C and C++ suck.

Go down

All build systems for C and C++ suck. Empty All build systems for C and C++ suck.

Post by am Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:02 am

Autotools. CMake. Scons. Waf. They all can go back to hell. Oh, and the Debian packaging tools have a special place in hell. God damn it!

Autotools is just plain unusable.

CMake is completely unintuitive and poorly documented. Still the best choice just because it's the most sane one out of the ones that are popular. Requires a bunch of helper scripts because it loves to litter.

Scons and Waf have atrocious IDE integration - even worse than CMake! And yes, they lack documentation too...

Debian packaging tools are completely stupid. They were built to package simple packages with very simple dependencies. It's very hard to package a CMake project because all the examples are either done with Autotools or handwritten makefiles (huuurrrr durrrrr dh $@ is nuff 4 evrybdy!1!) and it's shitty babysitting (I am looking at you shlibs) are annoying as hell.
am
am

money : 1109
bitches : 12
Humor : I don't like amsk8r that much; his autism usually gets the better of him.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum