OTTHUNDERDOME I : THE THUNDERVAULT - HOME OF THE GOODS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my mom's computing problems blew over tonight

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

my mom's computing problems blew over tonight Empty my mom's computing problems blew over tonight

Post by admin Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:52 pm

i explained to her that all the shitware she downloads is what is making her second laptop that runs winblows so shitty so she went to the control panel and uninstalled fucking everything and now windows doesn't work is less functional than it previously was is about as functional as your average windows installation

so now i'm gonna get to install xubuntu or something onto the son of a bitch and that means that every computer in this household will be runnning GNU+Linux

Last edited by ammy - アミ on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
admin
admin
ETERNAL PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC

money : -420000486
bitches : -5361

Back to top Go down

my mom's computing problems blew over tonight Empty Re: my mom's computing problems blew over tonight

Post by admin Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:53 pm

now i just gotta find a distro that'll work well with it
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

my mom's computing problems blew over tonight Empty Re: my mom's computing problems blew over tonight

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:34 pm

she needs computer classes

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 pm

spinnythings wrote:she needs computer classes
it's pointless to do that with adults, they just learn to spout a lot of meaningless buzzwords (like, "THE CLOUD" and "SOCIAL MEDIA" and "INTERNET PROTOCOL") and continue being clueless

the best thing we can do is just stuff them into a nice safe easy-to-use and system that is impossible to break; as in, any debian-based linux distribution
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alyaza Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 pm

ammy - アミ wrote:
it's pointless to do that with adults, they just learn to spout a lot of meaningless buzzwords (like, "THE CLOUD" and "SOCIAL MEDIA" and "INTERNET PROTOCOL") and continue being clueless

the best thing we can do is just stuff them into a nice safe easy-to-use and system that is impossible to break; as in, any debian-based linux distribution
the problem with relatively new easily accessible technology
the older gens which were around before it cant adapt to it well and thus tend to grow and loathe it, those who dont tend to be clueless
of course the few who can conquer such a task are often pretty cool guys
alyaza
alyaza
wizard

money : 18317
bitches : -944
Humor : praise be to the all powerful appaloosa horse

http://otrepository.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:54 pm

slamjamsk8r - スラムジュラムスケータ wrote:
ammy - アミ wrote:

the older gens which were around before it cant adapt to it well and thus tend to grow and loathe it, those who dont tend to be clueless
the new easily accessable technology like iphones and shit is all bricked in; those are just consumer platforms that lock people into cushy environments where they can't obliterate their entire system with a click of a button. then you throw them in front of an invulnerable machine like a PC running windows, and they're so trustworthy of everything online they assume "moviedownloaderplus.exe 16kb" is good shit and will do what it says it does

that's why our parents are dumbasses with computers. they think you treat them there nifty iphones the same way you would treat a piece of personal computing machinery. therefore, the only way we can keep them safe in an internet full of russian script kiddies is to turn their computers into the functioning equivalent of an iphone
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:56 pm

ammy - アミ wrote:
ammy - アミ wrote:

the new easily accessable technology like iphones and shit is all bricked in; those are just consumer platforms that lock people into cushy environments where they can't obliterate their entire system with a click of a button. then you throw them in front of an invulnerable machine like a PC running windows, and they're so trustworthy of everything online they assume "moviedownloaderplus.exe 16kb" is good shit and will do what it says it does

that's why our parents are dumbasses with computers. they think you treat them there nifty iphones the same way you would treat a piece of personal computing machinery. therefore, the only way we can keep them safe in an internet full of russian script kiddies is to turn their computers into the functioning equivalent of an iphone
you can teach your parents a lot about computers; but they usually don't care enough to learn. they're all so daunted by the mere thought of using their head for a second to solve problems and rely on their common sense, and that their computers should hold their hands and guide them through every step while cooing to them that everything will be alright
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 pm

ammy - アミ wrote:
ammy - アミ wrote:
ammy - アミ wrote:

you can teach your parents a lot about computers; but they usually don't care enough to learn. they're all so daunted by the mere thought of using their head for a second to solve problems and rely on their common sense, and that their computers should hold their hands and guide them through every step while cooing to them that everything will be alright
and that's why ubuntu is popular
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:38 am

ammy - アミ wrote:
ammy - アミ wrote:
ammy - アミ wrote:

the worst parents are the ones like my father that do this and then have the tenacity to tell me I'm wrong about how the program that 'randomly appeared on your computer' named 'Super AntiSpyware Pro 2013' is not the solution to your now sudden virus problem and so you should not pay $60 for a license to remove said 'malicious software'

and fuck that shit because I can't even install a new operating system on his computer because he archives all of his e-mails in an antiquated custom version of Outlook Express from 1924
LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD
LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD
UNSTOPPABLE

money : 2147483634
bitches : -828
Humor : bench 420 squat 420 deadlift 420

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:04 am

amnnmy wrote:
ammy - アミ wrote:
ammy - アミ wrote:
ammy - アミ wrote:

the worst parents are the ones like my father that do this and then have the tenacity to tell me I'm wrong about how the program that 'randomly appeared on your computer' named 'Super AntiSpyware Pro 2013' is not the solution to your now sudden virus problem and so you should not pay $60 for a license to remove said 'malicious software'

and fuck that shit because I can't even install a new operating system on his computer because he archives all of his e-mails in an antiquated custom version of Outlook Express from 1924
embed an insidious virus on his computer and offer no help when it fucks him up

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:29 pm

waiting for mom to get her shit backed up and give me the OK and nuke all of her data and replace it with software freedoms

starting it off with lubuntu cuz
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:53 pm

lubuntu installed

seems to work OK but im going to burn a back up xubuntu just in case

also i'm going to format my winxp partition off this laptop so that we can become a truly 100% GNU+linux household
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 pm

god what an insecure piece of shit though, it automagically makes the root password the same as whatever regular user account you set up (then why the fuck is there even a superuser account???) and automagically makes the user account created with installation have full sudoing permissions to wreak havoc on the entire system, and you cant even logon as root in the logon screen

now we can only hope my mom doesn't find the "Lubuntu Software Center" icon

also "Software Center", what a joke holy shit it's literally Aptitude but with a zillion glittery effects to make retard apple-casuals cream their pants
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alyaza Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:01 pm

ammy wrote:god what an insecure piece of shit though, it automagically makes the root password the same as whatever regular user account you set up (then why the fuck is there even a superuser account???) and automagically makes the user account created with installation have full sudoing permissions to wreak havoc on the entire system, and you cant even logon as root in the logon screen

expect the worst
alyaza
alyaza
wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:07 pm

ammy wrote:god what an insecure piece of shit though, it automagically makes the root password the same as whatever regular user account you set up (then why the fuck is there even a superuser account???) and automagically makes the user account created with installation have full sudoing permissions to wreak havoc on the entire system, and you cant even logon as root in the logon screen

also "Software Center", what a joke holy shit it's literally Aptitude but with a zillion glittery effects to make retard apple-casuals cream their pants
aptitude:
my mom's computing problems blew over tonight Tt0LeuF

ubuntu software center:
my mom's computing problems blew over tonight Ubuntu-software-center

HOW CAN YOU BE SO DROP DEAD STUPID YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO USE APTITUDE JESUS FUCK THEY'RE THE SAME GOD DAMN THING
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:08 pm

ammy wrote:

aptitude:

ubuntu software center:

HOW CAN YOU BE SO DROP DEAD STUPID YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO USE APTITUDE JESUS FUCK THEY'RE THE SAME GOD DAMN THING

innovation involves taking something that already works and making it use more resources
LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD
LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD
UNSTOPPABLE

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:21 pm

seeing them call "packages" "apps" is what really has me going

you've crossed a line today, canonical
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alyaza Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 pm

ammy wrote:seeing them call "packages" "apps" is what really has me going

are they trying to reel in the mobile phone crowd or what the fuck
alyaza
alyaza
wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:41 pm

slamjamsk8r wrote:
ammy wrote:seeing them call "packages" "apps" is what really has me going

are they trying to reel in the mobile phone crowd or what the fuck
apps are the hip new term
LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD
LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD
UNSTOPPABLE

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:19 am

i dont know if i should force lubuntu on her or xubuntu

i just gotta make sure it's something shitty and "user friendly" and resembles windows due to lazy developers
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:15 pm

status update on my mother and her fresh installation of lubuntu

she shut the computer down during a regularly fsck because she thought it was "glitching out" and managed to destroy her installaion in her first 15 minutes of using it
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alyaza Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:17 pm

fag wrote:status update on my mother and her fresh installation of lubuntu

she shut the computer down during a regularly fsck because she thought it was "glitching out" and managed to destroy her installaion in her first 15 minutes of using it
told you to assume the worst
alyaza
alyaza
wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:46 pm

fag wrote:

aptitude:

ubuntu software center:

wow you're right they look exactly the same

Back to top Go down

Post by LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:50 pm

spinnythings wrote:
fag wrote:

aptitude:

ubuntu software center:

if you think of it from a perspective of not having to use your mouse to sift through a shitty and REALLY FUCKING SLOW interface than they're the same except one looks ridiculously shitty and stupid
LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD
LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD
UNSTOPPABLE

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:55 am

spinnythings wrote:
fag wrote:

aptitude:

ubuntu software center:

they look different but do the exact same thing (download and remove packages)
admin
admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next